Tag Archives: The Exchange

Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust —Update, July 2016

PUBLIC MEETING
Thursday, 28 July 2016 at 7pm
South Dunedin Presbyterian Hall (at back)
The Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust will hold a public meeting to update the community on its progress and announce the formation of the High Street Cable Car Society Inc, which will take over much of the work of the trust.

Mornington Trailer No. 111 [ODT files]Mornington Trailer No. 111 [ODT files]

ODT Online Thu, 7 Jul 2016
Cable car group seeks funds to build
By Timothy Brown
The group behind a bid to re-establish High St’s cable car route hopes to open its temporary display museum by Christmas. The Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust is applying for funding and building consent for its temporary 72sq m display museum after securing a lease in Mornington Park from the Dunedin City Council last month. The museum would house a trailer and two grip cars in a bid to raise funds for a proposed $2.5million future facility, trust member Neville Jemmett said. “This is what we are calling our elephant step, because it’s the first time we have got a foot on the ground. Everything has been in folders and papers before now,” he said. The museum would comprise a three-door steel garage with a track for Mornington trailer No111 to be rolled in and out to allow for access and to display it. “It’s only temporary, that’s why it’s not a fancy building. It’s to basically show people that we mean business.”
Read more

Mon, 11 July 2016 at 12:27 p.m.
Received from Neville Jemmett, Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust
July 2016 DHLRT Heritage newsletter (PDF, 8.17 MB)

[cover page]
July 2016 Heritage newsletter (front page)

Related Posts and Comments:
27.5.15 Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust Newsletters 2015
4.11.14 Phillip George (Phil) Cole, RIP
5.6.14 DCC Transport Strategy and Riccarton Road
28.7.13 Dunedin Cable Car Trust – Public Meetings Sunday 28 July
14.2.13 Phil Cole on the High Street Cable Car
15.1.13 Return of High Street cable car
23.12.11 High Street cable car update
29.11.10 Phillip Cole on Dunedin buses
16.9.10 Pre-election opinions on public transport and the stadium
26.11.09 The Chronicles of Yarnia
19.10.09 Cable Car Meeting @Dunedin
27.8.10 Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
9.7.09 Designing public transport for repeat use

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

10 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, DCC, Democracy, Design, District Plan, Dunedin, Economics, Education, Events, Finance, Fun, Geography, Heritage, Infrastructure, Innovation, Inspiration, Leading edge, Museums, Name, New Zealand, People, Project management, Property, Public interest, Resource management, Site, Tourism, Town planning, Transportation, Urban design, What stadium

DCC: Restriction of Vehicles from Parts of Jetty Street DECLARED

Received by direct copy from Lynne Robins
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 at 3:29 p.m.

From: Lynne Robins
Sent: Wednesday, 16 December 2015 3:29 p.m.
To: Karilyn Canton
Cc: craig.borley@odt.co.nz
Subject: Update – Proposed Restriction of Vehicles from Parts of Jetty Street

Further to my emails on the Proposed Restriction of Vehicles from parts of Jetty Street, please note the following update.

Council met on Monday 14 December 2015 and gave consideration to the recommendations from the Jetty Street Hearings Committee. Council approved the proposed recommendation and has declared parts of Jetty Street to be a pedestrian mall as per the attached declaration.

The declaration was been made under section 336 of the Local Government Act 1974. Under that section 336, any person may appeal to the Environment Court by 14 January 2016 or such later date as the Environment Court may allow. The Council would not oppose any request to the Environment Court by an applicant for the appeal period to be extended until up to 1 February 2016, but that would be a decision for the Environment Court rather than the Council.

A copy of the declaration will be published in the Council’s ODT noticeboard.

Thanks

Lynne Robins
Governance Support Officer
Dunedin City Council

DCC Notice of Declaration (Jetty St) received 16.12.15

█ Download: Jetty Street -declaration

DCC Jetty Street proposal - site mapDCC Jetty Street proposal 1DCC Jetty Street proposal 2DCC Jetty Street proposal 3

TOPICAL But what has Large Retail got to say on DCC Planning decisions affecting Large Retail [zoning] ?! Watch this space.

Related Post and Comments:
4.6.15 Exchange makeover —or pumps and pipe renewals, um

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

16 Comments

Filed under Business, Construction, DCC, Democracy, Design, District Plan, Dunedin, Infrastructure, People, Politics, Project management, Property, Proposed 2GP, Resource management, Site, Town planning, Transportation, Urban design, What stadium

La Maison House of Pleasure, Queens Gardens —then and today

Service Gibson & Co Building (1866) – former Dunedin Savings Bank
Architect: Robert A Lawson

La Maison House of Pleasure at 5 Queens Gardens is co-owned by city councillor and former Act MP Hilary Calvert. In 2011, her eyes featured on a sign at the top of the building (the image is still evident).

La Maison (former Dunedin Savings Bank) IMG_20150829_123957 (1b)La Maison IMG_20150829_125851 (1a)

La Maison IMG_20150829_123454 (2a)La Maison IMG_20150829_124102 (1a)La Maison IMG_20150829_124338 (1a)

La Maison’s ground-floor ceiling was ornate and perfectly preserved, its below-ground vault still intact – original door included – although now it houses a “dungeon” stocked with items considerably different to those the vault was designed for. Upstairs, the building’s origin was harder to spot, although staff promised today’s tour would be comprehensive, including an all-access walk-through and details of the building’s changes through its 149 years. ODT 29.8.15

### Stuff.co.nz Last updated 15:12, August 29 2015
Open day at Dunedin’s House of Pleasure
By Hamish McNeilly
It was a happy ending for the dozens of visitors who attended an open day at La Maison House of Pleasure in Dunedin. Business owner turned tour guide, Teena Ingersoll, doesn’t like the word “brothel” to described her Queens Garden based business, which opened its doors on Saturday morning as part of a Heritage Festival open day. “I hate the word brothel, this is a house of pleasure.” Read more + Images

Stuff: Dunedin brothel set to open doors to public

La Maison IMG_20150829_124219 (2a)

Related Posts and Comments:
23.8.15 1865 Dunedin —Heritage Festival 2015 ‘The Open City’ Sat 29 August
23.8.15 1865 Dunedin —Heritage Festival 2015 Shoreline Trail launch

Post and 6 smartphone images by Elizabeth Kerr

9 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Events, Fun, Heritage, Media, Name, New Zealand, People, Pics, Property, Site, Tourism

Standard Building, 201 Princes Street —then and today

Standard Fire and Marine Insurance Company of New Zealand Building (1875)
Architect: Mason and Wales

Standard Building IMG_20150829_130631 (7)standard-building-img_20150829_130847-3

Standard Building IMG_20150829_130847 (1b)Standard Buildiing IMG_20150829_130418 (7a)

█ Ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/throughjo/staircasing/

### ODT Online Sat, 29 Aug 2015
Surprises in old buildings
By Craig Borley
The doors to some of Dunedin’s historic buildings will be opened to the public today as the city’s heritage festival continues. The Dunedin Heritage Festival began yesterday with the “Dunedin 1865: A City Rises” photographic exhibition in the Dunedin Public Art Gallery. The festival finishes tomorrow. A major draw is the tours today and tomorrow of 64 historic buildings, which will be raising their customary barriers to the public […] the festival would also include a children’s heritage trail at Toitu Otago Settlers Museum, a walking trail following Dunedin’s original shoreline and a special service in First Church.
Read more

### ODT Online Tue, 2 Jun 2015
‘Absolutely incredible’ revamp of heritage building
By John Gibb
An “absolutely incredible” conservation and adaptive reuse project is nearing completion in Dunedin. This work on the Standard Building in Princes St, including extensive earthquake strengthening [and restoration of the Italian-style facade] has been undertaken as momentum grows to further revitalise the Exchange area, and a wave of adaptive reuse work continues to transform the nearby warehouse precinct. […] The project also includes the Stanton Building, situated behind the Standard Building, and backing on to the council’s Dowling St car park. A crucial – and previously largely hidden – feature of the redevelopment is an innovative, light-filled multilevel internal atrium, making extensive use of glass, which will link the two buildings and provide access to the various floors.
Read more

Related Posts and Comments:
23.8.15 1865 Dunedin —Heritage Festival 2015 ‘The Open City’ Sat 29 August
23.8.15 1865 Dunedin —Heritage Festival 2015 Shoreline Trail launch
17.3.12 Call for photographs or building plans – Standard Building….
24.10.11 Former Standard Insurance building, 201 Princes St, Dunedin

Post and 4 smartphone images by Elizabeth Kerr

1 Comment

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Events, Fun, Heritage, Inspiration, Media, New Zealand, People, Pics, Project management, Property, Site, Tourism, Urban design

Exchange makeover —or pumps and pipe renewals, um

The Exchange, Dunedin [mp_natlib_govt_nz PAColl-8163-60] 1Image: National Library of New Zealand

COUNCIL NEWS

### ODT Online Tue, 26 May 2015
Council goes with Exchange revamp
By Chris Morris
The Dunedin City Council is to press ahead with a $1.1 million plan to revamp Exchange Square and create new car-free zones in the Warehouse Precinct. Councillors at yesterday’s full council meeting voted to approve both projects for public consultation over the next few months, which could be followed by construction later this year. Plans for the Exchange envisaged a $602,000 revamp, paid for from existing budgets and including a new layout, new grey-blue concrete paving, furniture, plantings and LED lighting.
Read more

During Long Term Plan deliberations, the council had brought forward a $602,000 upgrade of Exchange Square. Tony Offen says he supports the council’s plans, but wants to have more direct input to help refine the details.

### ODT Online Thu, 4 Jun 2015
Exchange should be ‘showcase’
By Chris Morris
A new group created to push for improvements in Dunedin’s Exchange says the area should be a “showcase” for the city. Tony Offen, a Dunedin businessman and John Wickliffe House co-owner, has created the group Vibrant Exchange to work with the Dunedin City Council on planned improvements. The informal movement so far represented the building’s co-owners and their interests, but Mr Offen told the Otago Daily Times he hoped to expand the group’s reach over time.
Read more

AGREE. POSITIVE. OWN THAT SPACE.
Businesses in the Exchange Area should not accept carte blanche anything proposed, detailed or supervised by the Conflicted Hat mural pushing make-believer(s) scarcely out of shorts. And who was it, dishonest enough NOT to declare the $600,000 unspent budget at Transportation Planning, which was SUDDENLY (!!) prostituted for the cause – when council departments had been asked to flag unspent budgets for potential retirement of council debt. Of course, this low manoeuvre stabs to the very heart of motives. Those of our DCC chief executive, frothed by the boy scout, sullied by the likes of Bendan Grope and Death Cull riding the back of the penultimate vote-catching Pet Project.

Anyhow, businesses/property investors are more fully capable of leading and dispensing greater aesthetics and improved public facilities than DCC, with its penchant for UGLY bloody curb protrusions and cycle lanes.

Then. South Dunedin went to flood.

█ Wikipedia: Princes Street, Dunedin

Related Posts and Comments:
31.5.15 Cr Vandervis (LGOIMA) on $2 million “interest underspend”
27.5.15 Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust Newsletters 2015
23.5.15 DCC rates rise | ODT editor nonplussed
13.11.14 John Wickliffe House, 265 Princes Street LUC-2014-203 | Decision
5.8.14 DCC staff-led CBD projects…impact ratepayers | consolidated council debt
17.7.14 John Wickliffe House – application to paint exterior
25.3.14 Hotel We LIKE: Distinction Dunedin Hotel at former CPO
27.7.13 Heritage: Old BNZ, Dunedin —restored
22.6.13 Dunedin’s former Chief Post Office
26.2.13 Bank of New Zealand Building, 205 Princes St (cnr Rattray)
17.3.12 Call for photographs or building plans…Standard Building, 201 Princes St
31.1.12 Rattray St buildings up for full demolition say McLauchlan and Darling
24.10.11 Former Standard Insurance building, 201 Princes St, Dunedin
11.10.11 180 Rattray St, Dunedin — former P. Hayman & Co. Building (1872)
25.8.11 180 Rattray St, Dunedin…building demolition means loss of 19th-C alley
10.3.11 Layers of Gold – Dunedin Heritage Festival 18-21 March 2011
5.3.11 Former Chief Post Office, Dunedin – magazine feature…
14.6.10 Investing in Dunedin’s historic heritage: former BNZ
21.1.10 Sensitive area: The Exchange
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
24.10.09 Rodney Wilson: Dunedin as national heritage city
23.10.09 Weekend ODT looks at The Exchange
20.7.09 DCC + former CPO + others(??) = a public library (yeah right)

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

34 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, DCC, Democracy, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, Hotel, Inspiration, Media, Name, New Zealand, OAG, People, Politics, Project management, Property, Site, Tourism, Town planning, Transportation, Urban design, What stadium

Dunedin Heritage Light Rail Trust Newsletters 2015

Received from Nev Jemmett
‎Tues, ‎26‎ ‎May‎ ‎2015 ‎at 10‎:‎16‎ ‎a.m.

Vol 1 Issue 2 – May 2015 [click to enlarge]

DHLRT Newsletter 20.5.15 p1DHLRT Newsletter 20.5.15 p2DHLRT Newsletter 20.5.15 p3DHLRT Newsletter 20.5.15 p4

█ Download: DHLRT May 2015 newsletter (DOC, 4 MB)

****

Received from Nev Jemmett
‎Wed, ‎25‎ ‎February‎ ‎2015 at ‎10‎:‎56‎ ‎a.m.

Vol 1 Issue 1 – February 2015 [click to enlarge]

DHLRT Newsletter February 2015 p1DHLRT Newsletter February 2015 p2DHLRT Newsletter February 2015 p3DHLRT Newsletter February 2015 p4

█ Download: DHLRT February 2015 newsletter (PDF, 2 MB)

Related Posts and Comments:
4.11.14 Phillip George (Phil) Cole, RIP
5.6.14 DCC Transport Strategy and Riccarton Road
28.7.13 Dunedin Cable Car Trust – Public Meetings SUNDAY 28 July
14.2.13 Phil Cole on the High Street Cable Car
15.1.13 Return of High Street cable car
23.12.11 High Street cable car update
29.11.10 Phillip Cole on Dunedin buses
16.9.10 Pre-election opinions on public transport and the stadium
26.11.09 The Chronicles of Yarnia
19.10.09 Cable Car Meeting @Dunedin
27.8.10 Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
9.7.09 Designing public transport for repeat use

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

22 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Fun, Geography, Heritage, Innovation, Inspiration, Name, New Zealand, People, Project management, Site, Tourism, Town planning, Transportation, Urban design

John Wickliffe House, 265 Princes Street LUC-2014-203 | Decision

Received by mail this morning, the Decision for the resource consent application (LUC-2014-203) to paint John Wickliffe House in The Exchange.

Phil Page (legal counsel) represented the applicant, Nick Baker of Baker Garden Architects, consulting architect and agent for the Plaza Property Trust.

Declined.

Decision
The final consideration of the application, which took into account all information presented at the Hearing, was held during the public-excluded portion of the Hearing. The Committee reached the following decision after considering the application under the statutory framework of the Resource Management Act 1991. In addition, a site visit was undertaken during the public-excluded portion of the Hearing. The Committee inspected the site and some other buildings referred to during the hearing and this added physical reality to the Committee’s considerations.

That, pursuant to Sections 34A and 104C and after having regard to Part II matters and Section 104 of the Resource Management Act 1991, The Dunedin City Council declines consent to the restricted discretionary activity to paint John Wickliffe House on the site at 265 Princes Street, Dunedin, being that land legally described as Section 6 Block XLIV Town of Dunedin held in Computer Freehold Register OT 18A/1024.

Right of Appeal — In accordance with Section 120 of the Resource Management Act 1991, the applicant and/or any submitter may appeal to the Environment Court against the whole or any part of this decision within 15 working days of the notice of this decision being received.

█ Download: John Wickliffe House LUC-2014-203 Decision 12 11 14

John Wickliffe House - Baker Garden Architects _1JW House exisiting [deltapsych.co.nz]

Acknowledgements

Related Post and Comments:
17.7.14 John Wickliffe House – application to paint exterior

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

*Images: Baker Garden Architects – proposed paint scheme; deltapsych.co.nz – John Wickliffe House, existing surfaces

34 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, DCC, Democracy, Design, Economics, Heritage, Name, New Zealand, People, Pics, Project management, Property, Site, Town planning, Urban design

John Wickliffe House – application to paint exterior

Updated post 25.12.14

John Wickliffe House - Baker Garden Architects _1LUC-2014-203 Repair and exterior painting 265 Princes Street
Closes: 18/07/2014

Notification of Application for a Resource Consent – Under Section 93(2) of the Resource Management Act 1991.

The Dunedin City Council has received the following application:
Resource consent is sought for a restricted discretionary activity, being the repair and exterior painting of the John Wickliffe House at 265 Princes Street within the North Princes Street/Moray Place/Exchange Townscape Precinct (TH03). The paint will cover the existing precast concrete, the soffit and vertical concrete fins and the steel window frames.

An assessment of effects is provided with the application.

LUC-2014-203 DCC Planner’s Report (PDF, 4.78 MB)

John Wickliffe House proposed paint colours (1)

John Wickliffe House - 'Assessment of effects' Baker Garden Architects [click to enlarge]

John Wickliffe House [primecommercial.co.nz] 1

Related Post and Comments:
13.11.14 John Wickliffe House, 265 Princes Street LUC-2014-203 | Decision

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

*Images: Baker Garden Architects (via DCC) – extracts from Application; primecommercial.co.nz – John Wickliffe House

32 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, DCC, Design, Economics, Heritage, Media, Name, New Zealand, People, Project management, Property, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Hotel We LIKE: Distinction Dunedin Hotel at former CPO

Reopening the former Chief Post Office building “marks a significant milestone for the restoration project, with more tenants, a three-level car park building and, eventually, the 120-apartment four-star-plus Distinction Dunedin Hotel, all to follow”. (ODT)

CPO Dunedin Chief Post Office 1930s [rootsweb.ancestry.com] re-imagedDunedin Chief Post Office (1930s)

### ODT Online Tue, 25 Mar 2014
Office workers light up CPO
By Chris Morris
The return today of a commercial tenant to Dunedin’s former chief post office building for the first time in more than 15 years marks a significant milestone in the restoration project. About 145 staff from Silver Fern Farms are expected to start work in their new headquarters – occupying the first two floors of the partially-restored building – this morning. It was the first time the building had been home to a permanent tenant since closing its doors in 1997, building owner Geoff Thomson, of Distinction Hotels, said.
Read more

Dogged controversy.
Submissions in opposition to the proposed waterfront tower hotel at 41 Wharf Street (LUC 2012-212) make frequent mention of a preference to see the old Chief Post Office restored and in use as a city hotel in The Exchange.
Dull criticism from the anti-heritage brigade has often been cast at the old building’s owner for lack of speed in making the redevelopment happen.
Geoff Thomson, a canny and diligent man, has proceeded with the retrofit of this very large government architect-designed building at the pace he can afford in the up-down market he faces. Geoff Thomson deserves significant praise for his passion and perseverance in seeing the project through as well as attending to quality tenanting and leases.

[history and significance]
█ Heritage New Zealand (HNZ) registration report: List No. 2145 (Category II)

CPO reroof (May 2011). Gerard O'Brien [odt.co.nz]Photo: Gerard O’Brien – Reroof, May 2011

Related Posts and Comments:
22.6.13 Dunedin’s former Chief Post Office
5.3.11 Former Chief Post Office, Dunedin – magazine feature…
14.8.2010 No surprises with former CPO redevelopment
12.5.10 DScene – Geoff Thomson buys back former CPO
11.5.10 DCC Media Release – Chief Post Office
16.3.10 Planning the future of Dunedin heritage buildings [recent comments]
10.11.09 Dunedin public library services
24.10.09 Rodney Wilson: Dunedin as national heritage city
20.7.09 DCC + former CPO + others(??) = a public library (yeah right)

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

*Images: rootsweb.ancestry.com – Dunedin Chief Post Office (1930s) re-imaged by whatifdunedin; odt.co.nz – Gerard O’Brien: CPO Reroof, May 2011 [screenshot]

41 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Hotel, Inspiration, Media, Name, New Zealand, People, Pics, Project management, Property, Site, Tourism, Town planning, Urban design, What stadium

Dunedin Cable Car Trust – Public Meetings SUNDAY 28 July

Mornington cable train, High St 1

The trust will hold two public meetings to provide information on the High Street Cable Car project, including details on how people can help, and a question and answer session.

WHERE Hutton Theatre, Otago Museum
WHEN Sunday 28 July
SESSIONS 1pm – 3pm or 3pm – 5pm

Entry by gold coin donation

ALL WELCOME

Website: http://dunedincablecars.co.nz/

Related Post and Comments:
14.2.13 Phil Cole on the High Street Cable Car [most recent comments]
15.1.13 Return of High Street cable car
23.12.11 High Street cable car update
27.8.10 Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car
25.11.09 High Street cable car
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
19.10.09 Cable Car Meeting @Dunedin

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

2 Comments

Filed under Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, Innovation, Inspiration, Name, New Zealand, People, Property, Site, Tourism, Town planning, Urban design, What stadium

Heritage: Old BNZ, Dunedin —restored

Work on the historic bank included strengthening the structure from 67% of building code requirements to 100% and installing a full fire sprinkler system.

Old BNZ c.1888 [FA Coxhead] re-imaged 1205 Princes St – Old BNZ c.1888 (photo by FA Coxhead re-imaged)

With Silver Fern [Farms] also moving into the old chief post office, it will give the Exchange momentum. The shops will do better and it will give the whole area more impetus. –Michael van Aart

### ODT Online Sat, 27 Jul 2013
Refurbished bank building ready for law firm
By Nigel Benson
Dunedin’s former commercial heart – the Exchange – will pulsate with new life next week. With scaffolding removed and tradesmen gone, the 130-year-old Bank of New Zealand building in Princes St will become the new home to commercial law firm Van Aart Sycamore Lawyers on Wednesday. The occupation of the building, which is considered architect William Barnett Armson’s (1834-1883) masterpiece, follows an 18-month restoration project.
“We’re really looking forward to moving in,” firm director Michael van Aart said yesterday. “The building is dramatic and one of a kind. We have to celebrate the unique features we have here in Dunedin and heritage is certainly one of them. The Exchange was the heart of New Zealand’s economy when it was built.”
The building had been untenanted for the past 13 years. Van Aart Sycamore Lawyers had been based in Radio House for the past six years and the move would be good for the Exchange, Mr van Aart believed.
Read more

Old BNZ, Armson drawing no. 10 (Princes St facade) 2Armson drawing no. 10, Princes St facade with secondary doorway

Readings:
New Zealand Historic Places Trust – Category 1 Historic Place
(No. 7299) Registration Report – the history and significance

[wikipedia] Princes Street, Dunedin
[wikipedia] Bank of New Zealand

Book: John Barsby, The BNZ Building, Princes Street Dunedin (Southern Heritage Trust, 2011)

Related Post and Comments:
26.2.13 Bank of New Zealand Building, 205 Princes St (cnr Rattray)
[more images]

Banking desk from former BNZ Bank, Otago Settlers Museum [nzmuseums.co.nz]The banking desk designed by architect Robert A Lawson is held by Otago Settlers Museum; and an original ornamental fire surround from the bank is installed at Antrim House (NZHPT National Office) in Wellington (photographs in Barsby). It is thought one more fire surround went to another Wellington residence.

Drawing for write-up desk, Old BNZ (RA Lawson)RA Lawson, Drawing for write-up desk, Old BNZ

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, DCC, Design, Economics, Heritage, Innovation, Inspiration, Media, Name, New Zealand, NZHPT, People, Project management, Property, Site, Tourism, Urban design, What stadium

Dunedin’s former Chief Post Office

Dunedin Chief Post Office [topnews.net.nz]

### ODT Online Sat, 22 Jun 2013
Post office conversion ready to go
By Hamish McNeilly
A multimillion-dollar project to transform the former Dunedin chief post office has been delivered. Work on converting the 10-storey heritage building into a 120-apartment hotel and office space for Silver Fern Farms and other commercial tenants could begin within weeks.

Dunedin Chief Post Office [distinctionhotels.co.nz]Building owner Geoff Thomson, of Distinction Hotels, told the Otago Daily Times: “I just love the building and it was just about trying to find a way to make it stack up.”

Arrow International would spearhead the fit-out of the office space and hotel and the construction of a multilevel car park at the rear of the building. The four-star plus Distinction Dunedin hotel project would cost more than $15 million, but those involved with the project declined to confirm a figure.
However, the anchor tenancy of Silver Fern Farms, which would occupy the first two floors, and unnamed commercial tenants the third floor, would help to “underpin the building”, Mr Thomson said.
The commercial floors would be fitted out by the end of the year. Construction of a three-storey car park on its Bond St car park at the rear of the building would also be done by then. Designs had yet to be finalised for the remaining seven floors of the hotel apartments.
Read more

[history and significance]
█ Heritage New Zealand (HNZ) registration report: List No. 2145 (Category II)

Related Posts and Comments:
16.3.10 Public meeting: planning the future of Dunedin heritage buildings [updates on SFF]
2.7.12 Demolition by neglect. Townscape precincts.
6.12.11 Distinction Hotels: more work on former Chief Post Office
5.3.11 Former Chief Post Office, Dunedin – magazine feature . . .
14.8.10 No surprises with former CPO redevelopment
27.5.10 Distinction Dunedin: former chief post office
12.5.10 DScene – Geoff Thomson buys back former CPO
11.5.10 DCC Media Release – Chief Post Office
10.11.09 Dunedin public library services
23.10.09 Weekend ODT looks at The Exchange
3.9.09 Dunedin Public Library feasibility
26.8.09 DScene: Delta, STS, DCC larks
20.7.09 DCC + former CPO + others(??) = a public library (yeah right)

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

*Images: (from top) topnews.net.nz – Dunedin Chief Post Office, 283 Princes Street, Dunedin; distinctionhotels.co.nz – thumbnail; rootsweb.ancestry.com – 1930s b/w

Dunedin Chief Post Office 1930s (2) [rootsweb.ancestry.com]

2 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Hotel, Inspiration, Media, Name, People, Project management, Property, Site, Tourism, Urban design, What stadium

Bank of New Zealand Building, 205 Princes St (cnr Rattray)

Dunedin 1883 blg taken 1976 lowresBNZ Bank, The Exchange 1976

### ODT Online Tue, 26 Feb 2013
New lease of life for BNZ building
By Debbie Porteous
A grand old dame of the Dunedin streetscape is being brought back to life by a Dunedin law firm. The historic Bank of New Zealand Building at the corner of Rattray and Princes Sts, in the Exchange, will, come June, be home to commercial law firm Van Aart Sycamore Lawyers, after the company bought the building and is having it renovated. BNZ main entry detail - City WalksFirm directors Michael Van Aart and Tony Sycamore said they were looking for permanent premises and the building’s location, natural light and character had appealed. Mr Sycamore said he expected the building would be “a really nice place to work”. The location was also great. Buildings around the Exchange area were filling up with commercial tenants, in what was historically the commercial heart of Dunedin. The company’s 14 staff would be based on the first floor, and once they had moved in the firm hoped to find tenants for the other three floors.

The company was strengthening the building from 67% of code to 100%, and installing full fire sprinkler systems throughout, as well as renovating and fitting out new offices, while retaining the heritage features of the building preserved by previous owner Ted Daniels.

The company was working closely with the Dunedin City Council and the New Zealand Historic Places Trust on the refurbishment.
Read more

Heritage New Zealand – Category 1 Historic Place
(No. 7299) Registration Report – the history and significance

The Bank of New Zealand Building was designed and constructed over the period 1877-1883. The architect, William Barnett Armson, was one of the first colonially-trained architects to work in New Zealand. He trained at Melbourne in architecture, engineering and surveying, and returned to New Zealand in 1862. The building is considered to be the architect’s masterpiece, and New Zealand’s finest surviving nineteenth century bank.

Dunedin interior built 1883 lowresInterior, before alterations circa 1960. Campbell Photography, Dunedin

The bank is elsewhere described as one of the few New Zealand buildings to reflect the large scale of the sixteenth century Italian palazzo, its prototype. The richly carved exterior features New Zealand plants and landscapes carved by Louis John Godfrey. The interior was extensively modernised by the architects Mandeno and Fraser in 1958 but the superb plaster ceiling over the banking chamber was preserved.

Dunedin Ceiling 1883 lowresCeiling, main banking chamber

Related Post:
27.7.13 Heritage: Old BNZ, Dunedin —restored

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

*Images: BNZ Archives, Wellington (via Ted Daniels); Athol Parks, citywalks.co.nz

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Inspiration, Media, Name, NZHPT, People, Project management, Property, Site, Urban design

Phil Cole on the High Street Cable Car

Mornington cable train, High St

### ODT Online Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Opinion
Cable car project has popular aims
By Phillip Cole
Achieving an 86% positive response to the recent online ODT poll – ”`Would you like to see a cable car operating up High St?” – was a pleasant, but not surprising, result for the Dunedin Cable Car Trust. From the 994 votes cast, 852 were in favour. The votes reflect the opinion of just under 1% of Dunedin’s population, but it is enough to give us encouragement. Recreating the cable car on High St creates enormous challenges. To overcome these, the trust needs to be pragmatic and innovative to make sure Dunedin is left with an asset rather than a liability. To this end, the trust has spent a lot of time developing a project that will appeal to, and have the support of, a majority.
Some, including those in support of the cable car, are still under the misconception money for the project will come from the Dunedin City and Otago Regional Councils. However, the first matter agreed was that the trust was not going to ask the councils for a cent. We want to create a project the people of Dunedin and further afield can get behind and feel part of. Those who don’t want to support the project would be under no financial obligation to do so.
Read more + Images

● Phillip Cole is chairman of the Dunedin Cable Car Trust (est. 23 July 2008)

Dunedin had the first cable car system outside of the United States opening in 1881. San Francisco Municipal Railway became the sole operator of cable car service in the world with the closure of the Mornington line in Dunedin on 2 March 1957.

Related Posts and Comments:
15.1.13 Return of High Street cable car
23.12.11 High Street cable car update
27.8.10 Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car
25.11.09 High Street cable car
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
19.10.09 Cable Car Meeting @Dunedin

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

61 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Fun, Geography, Heritage, Innovation, Inspiration, Media, Name, People, Pics, Politics, Project management, Property, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Return of High Street cable car

### ODT Online Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Cable car back in 2018?
By Hamish McNeilly
The High St cable car could be resurrected within five years, as the trust behind the project prepares to start a major fundraising drive this year. The original High St to Mornington line opened in 1883 and closed in March 1957, but the Dunedin Cable Car Trust hopes to have a cable car back on the route by 2018. Chairman Phil Cole said the estimated $22 million project would be broken down into three phases, beginning with the construction of a $2 million terminus near Mornington Park.

Mr Cole stressed the trust was not looking for financial support from the Dunedin City Council, but was keeping the council updated on the project.

The Mornington terminus would include a cafe, museum and storage area for the cable car, and could be completed by 2015. ”We want to build this first to generate income for the project”. He said the completion of the terminus would help provide impetus for the project before the start of phase two – raising funds and installing the track and building the cable cars.
Read more

ODT Poll commenced 14.1.13

ODT Poll High St cable car 14.1.13[screenshot as at 12:00am 15.1.13]

Related Posts and Comments:
23.12.11 High Street cable car update
27.8.10 Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car
25.11.09 High Street cable car
23.11.09 High Street Cable Car a possibility
19.10.09 Cable Car Meeting @Dunedin

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

13 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Business, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, Innovation, Inspiration, Media, Name, People, Project management, Property, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Call for photographs or building plans – Standard Building, 201 Princes St

During a previous ownership, the historic Standard Insurance Building in the Exchange had its street elevation stripped of all decorative plaster detail. Fortunately for the city the current building owner, Exchange Renaissance Ltd, has honoured to reinstate the lost ornament.

Plaster craft specialist Daniel Pollard of Historic Building Conservation has been engaged to render the work.

The Standard Building at 201 Princes St is located between the old National Bank and the old Bank of New Zealand. A call for historical photographs of the original Standard Insurance Building facade has gone out to inform the facade reinstatement project.

A small number of historical photographs have been located, including the two images published here with the building owner’s permission. However, the photographs obtained provide an insufficient level of detail to successfully design and render the capitals of the arched windows.


The style of the building and the historical photographs together suggest a Corinthian-style capital was used orginally; the pilasters being square further define the shape. However, many different styles of Corinthian capitals are apparent on buildings of this era, therefore photographs of the Standard Building prior to 1969 are needed.

• Someone may have taken photographs of the old BNZ and National banks that include a view of the Standard Building’s capitals.

• Someone may hold original plans or records of the building, or know someone who was commissioned to remove the capitals in 1969.

If so, please contact Daniel Pollard, Historic Building Conservation, with your information.
Email: info@buildingconservation.co.nz
Phone: 03 489 0930
Mobile: 021 047 4007

Related Post:
24.10.11 Former Standard Insurance building, 201 Princes St, Dunedin

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

10 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Design, Heritage, Inspiration, Name, People, Pics, Project management, Property, Site, Urban design

Empire Hotel, 396 Princes St, Dunedin

### ch9.co.nz December 8, 2011 – 6:22pm
Historic Empire
Established as the Queen’s Arms in 1858, the building now known as the Empire Hotel has been nominated as a Category 1 building with the Historic Places Trust. Category 1 is the highest listing a building can achieve, and has benefits especially for aging structures.
Video

NZHPT Nomination for Registration:
EmpireHotel.ashx (PDF, 1.38 MB)

Empire Hotel, 2008. Photo: Elizabeth Kerr

8 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, Inspiration, Politics, Project management, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Distinction Hotels: more work on former Chief Post Office

Initial plans for the Distinction Dunedin included 180 rooms and suites, restaurants, bars, conference facilities, a business centre, gym, as well as a lap pool.

### ODT Online Tue, 6 Dec 2011
Steelwork spans new space
By Hamish McNeilly
As an airy new space is created with major engineering work at Dunedin’s former chief post office, the building’s developer is praising the city’s potential. Geoff Thomson, of Distinction Hotels, said contractors were yesterday putting in place steel beams over the top of a new conference centre area for the four-star redevelopment. The roof over the conference centre was likely to be completed by Christmas, after work to replace the main roof was completed earlier this year.
Read more

Related Comments:
16.3.10 Public meeting: planning the future of Dunedin heritage buildings

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Inspiration, People, Project management, Site, Urban design

Former Standard Insurance building 201 Princes St, Dunedin

Building Owner: Exchange Renaissance Limited

Standard Building sign [img_9083eclr3] 2

The Standard Fire and Marine Insurance Company of New Zealand Building was designed by architects Mason and Wales and put out to tender on 9 May 1874. The three-storeyed building, with a basement and slate roof, was completed in 1875. The insurance company remained at the building until 1884 when it moved to new offices in Lower High Street. A series of well-known businesses have been associated with the building in the century or more following.

Vacant since 1997, the Standard Building has been purchased by Ted Daniels and Wayne Marsh; they have also acquired the iconic former Bank of New Zealand building on the corner of Princes and Rattray Sts. Their planned redevelopment of the properties for commercial use includes conservation, restoration and adaptive reuse of the building fabric. Work is currently underway, the most visible of which is reinstatement of the historical facade of the Standard Building. Previously stripped, the original plaster detail and mouldings are being replicated, based on early photographs.

Post and images by Elizabeth Kerr

14 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Inspiration, Project management, Site, Urban design

180 Rattray St, Dunedin — former P. Hayman & Co. Building (1872)

North Princes Street/Moray Place/Exchange Townscape Precinct (TH03)

Correction: The council received 12 submissions on the application.

### ODT Online Tue, 11 Oct 2011
Demolition hearing delayed
By Chris Morris
A 19th-century central Dunedin commercial building has been granted a temporary reprieve from the wrecking ball, after an application to demolish it to make way for a car park was placed on hold. However, building owner Lincoln Darling said when contacted yesterday he planned to proceed with the application next year, and nothing had changed. Mr Darling had sought resource consent to demolish the former Furniture Court Building at 180 Rattray St and replace it with a rental car park until another development opportunity arose.

• “Obviously, you do look at submissions … if they [submitters] want to chat with me I’m quite happy to talk to them about their concerns.” -Lincoln Darling

• New Zealand Historic Places Trust Otago-Southland area manager Owen Graham, in his submission, argued the “deficient” application lacked a detailed heritage assessment.

• Mr Darling said he had contacted Mr Graham last week to arrange a meeting, but had no views on his submission as “I haven’t even read it”.

Read more

Related Post, Comments and Recent Correspondence:
25.8.11 180 Rattray St, Dunedin: Proposed historic building demolition…

Lincoln Darling and friends might like to attend the DCC Workshop for heritage building owners on Wednesday, 23 November.

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, DCC, Economics, Heritage, Media, People, Politics, Project management, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Disappearing heritage #Dunedin

Updated post 29.7.13

### DScene 27-7-11 (page 7)
Too many historic icons being destroyed or neglected
By Owen Graham
OPINION Now that [Carisbrook] is no longer required, its owner – the Dunedin City Council – is looking to offer the site for a suitable redevelopment. As part of the exercise, council is making clear to interested parties that a few of the last remnants of the historic grounds’ past ought to be retained for incorporation into future developments. The Exchange area of Dunedin today offers one of the best opportunities for revitalisation yet it is a very confused place . . . nearby, up High St and Rattray St, there are active attempts to remove all traces of the past, be it through active demolition or neglect by intent.
{Continues} #bookmark

DScene 27.7.11 (page 7) Owen Graham NZHPT

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

10 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Economics, Heritage, People, Politics, Project management, Town planning, Urban design

Former Chief Post Office, Dunedin – magazine feature . . .

### ODT Online Sat, 5 Mar 2011
Magazine: Second time around
By Mark Price
For 17 years, developers have talked of turning Dunedin’s once-grand-now-derelict former chief post office in Princes St into a hotel. But, it has never happened. Mark Price tries to find out if the current owner has what it takes to salvage one of the city’s heritage landmarks.
Read more

Graphic: Timeline of transactions
Chief post office – How it was (images)

What if? – It is well known that internal fabric stored in the basement ‘disappeared out the back door’ – by the truckload – when a former owner of the building, who shops at the casino, allowed a gang debt collector to occupy the basement flat.

Related Posts:
14.8.10 No surprises with former CPO redevelopment
27.5.10 Distinction Dunedin: former chief post office
12.5.10 D Scene – Geoff Thomson buys back former CPO
11.5.10 DCC Media Release – Chief Post Office
23.10.09 Weekend ODT looks at The Exchange
3.9.09 Dunedin Public Library feasibility
20.7.09 DCC + former CPO + others(??) = a public library (yeah right)

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

Leave a comment

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, People, Project management, Site, Urban design

Invitation to ALL #High St Cable Car

DUNEDIN CABLE CAR TRUST

Reintroduction of High Street Cable Car
Community Information Meeting

Saturday 11 September 2010
High Street School, 10am – 5pm

Come along to the Community Information Meeting at High Street School on Saturday 11 September 2010 any time between 10am and 5pm to find out about the reintroduction of the Cable Car to the High Street, Mornington.

Members of the Dunedin Cable Car Trust will be present as will displays and information areas where ideas and thoughts can be discussed and brought out into the open with regards the best possible outcomes for the project.

The Dunedin Cable Car Trust is made up of genuine Dunedin supporters who wish for nothing more than to see the reintroduction of the Cable Car to the High Street and a project that the people of Dunedin can feel part of and take pride in.

We look forward to seeing you there on Saturday 11 September 2010.

Dunedin Cable Car Trust
Tony Chance, Bill Campbell, Phillip Cole
Neville Jemmett, Don Myers, Sue Russell

dcctrust@gmail.com

Post by Elizabeth Kerr

2 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Events, Fun, Geography, Heritage, Inspiration, People, Pics, Project management, Site, Urban design

No surprises with former CPO redevelopment

### ODT Online Fri, 13 Aug 2010
Former chief post office not ready in time for world cup
By Peter McIntosh
Dunedin’s former chief post office appears unlikely to be ready as a four-star hotel in time for next year’s Rugby World Cup. Three months after being purchased by Distinction Hotels owner Geoffrey Thomson, of Invercargill, the building’s exterior remains battered, boarded-up and in need of much work, as does the interior.
Read more

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

Leave a comment

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, Inspiration, Project management, Site, Town planning, Urban design, What stadium

Investing in Dunedin’s historic heritage: former Bank of New Zealand

Ted Daniels is best known for his ownership of 108-year-old Bracken Court in Moray Pl, which was spectacularly gutted by fire in July 2005 and was rebuilt for about $3 million, while Mr Marsh owns other Dunedin buildings.

### ODT Online Mon, 14 Jun 2010
Historic BNZ building work ongoing
By Simon Hartley
Work on Dunedin’s 126-year-old historic former BNZ building in the Exchange is continuing as its owners for the past year look for tenants before considering outfitting options. Dunedin building owners Ted Daniels and Wayne Marsh purchased the former bank – a major institution in Otago’s gold rush days – in a joint venture a year ago for an undisclosed sum.
Read more

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

Leave a comment

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, People, Project management, Site, Urban design