█ WorkSafe NZ notified of the incident by the Boss family.
Dunedin man Wayne Boss’ eye was seriously injured during the fireworks display in the Octagon during New Year celebrations.
### ODT Online Mon, 2 Jan 2017
Fireworks end in anguish
A Dunedin family’s New Year celebrations in the Octagon took a gruesome turn when debris from a fireworks display left a man with blood gushing from his eye. Wayne Boss faces an excruciating wait to find out whether he will be able to see with his right eye again.
News of the incident prompted Dunedin woman Vicky Watson to come forward with a chillingly similar story.
Ms Watson said the same thing happened to her three years ago when she was celebrating and gazing up at the fireworks, standing in the same spot where the Boss family had been. […] “The next day, I rang the council and they just brushed me off. They said it would never happen again, it’s just a freak accident,” she said. “I never got an apology letter. I was so disgusted.”
Now she wanted answers.
● Wayne Boss is an environmental health and safety specialist, working for Dunedin City Council.
Wayne Boss’s pupil is in three parts after the incident at the city council-run fireworks display.
### TVNZ 1 News Sun, 1 Jan 2017 at 5:31 p.m.
‘I’m just worried that I won’t see’ – Dunedin man hit in eye by fireworks debris [Video]
By Sean Hogan
A Dunedin man is facing the prospect of blindness in one eye after being struck by debris at the city’s public fireworks display. Wayne Boss was watching the city council-run fireworks display when the rogue piece of debris hit his right eye, throwing him to the ground. “I’m looking up at the Dunedin council Octagon building where the fireworks are being set off and it’s black obviously. And just for a split second I saw an object which I thought was a spent rocket. But we are talking milliseconds because then I get a blow to my right eye which was so hard it just floored me.”
….Wayne has spoken to WorkSafe about the incident and he and his family want answers as to what went wrong. “You go to events like that because they are meant to be safe. It’s a public event and people go there so they can experience fireworks in a safe environment where they don’t have to deal with them themselves. And if you can’t enforce a safe display it shouldn’t really be going on,” Ben Boss [son] told 1 NEWS.
Read more + Video
“spendidly” —Unfortunate choice of words.
### ODT Online Sun, 1 Jan 2017
Dunedin welcomes New Year with a bang
By Rob Kidd
….Dunedin City Council community events co-ordinator Marilyn Anderson said the night went “splendidly” even with the rain. […] Ms Anderson said partygoers were a little slow getting into town but she reckoned there were about 18,000 there when the big hand hit 12. The thunderous boom of the Robbie Burns cannon marked the end of 2016 followed by a five-minute explosion of fireworks atop the Civic Centre which painted the sky above Dunedin’s eight-sided heart with the fluorescent hope of a new year.
Happy New Year from my temporary home in New Zealand. #fireworks #dunedin #2017 pic.twitter.com/JiopHoAK3h
— Larena Hoeber (@larenahoeber) December 31, 2016
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr
This post is offered in the public interest.