Tag Archives: Demolition by neglect

Reed Building, 75 Crawford Street for demolition?

UPDATE Jul/Aug 2012
For restoration, building purchased by Dunedin businessman Lawrie Forbes.

Reed Building img_668011 (1)

Former Education Board/AH Reed/Skinners Building
75 Crawford St (cnr Jetty St), Dunedin
Owner: Wilden Holdings Limited. Director: John Peter Diggle.

7.4.10 D Scene alerts commercial building owners to responsibilities

Reed Building img_68081 (2)

### D Scene 16-2-11
Rocked and rolled? (page 1)
A prominent inner-city building may be demolished after having existing damage exacerbated by the Canterbury earthquake. See p3 #bookmark

Building may be demolished (page 3)
By Wilma McCorkindale
Disrepair of the historic AH Reed building in central Dunedin has been worsened by the Canterbury earthquake and it will probably be demolished, a spokesman for the owner says. A wall between the building and the neighbouring building, Sammy’s nightclub, was precarious and had caused Dunedin City Council to order the area to be taped off and repaired, the spokesman said.
{continued} #bookmark

Register to read D Scene online at http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect.com/

Reed Building img_67061 (1)

The above image shows the parapet side wall detaching. All external building damage was recorded on 20 February.

****

David Murray at Hocken Library provides the following:

The former Otago Education Board building (beside the Jetty St ramp to the railway overbridge) is one of few surving designs by architect John Somerville who designed many schools, almost all(?) now demolished.

There was a rather entertaining kerfuffle when the building was going up in 1897. See Papers Past at http://bit.ly/fY0KKR

The Otago Daily Times (4/9/1897) reports:
“The dispute at present raging in the Education Office appears to us to be a little of the storm in the teapot order. But it has some importance attached to it by very clearly revealing to the public the haphazard, happy-go-lucky manner in which the board is in the habit of conducting its business. The special matter in dispute needs but little comment. The board is building new offices, and members approve of plans for that purpose which have been laid before them by the architect.”

[What if? italics, there follows a long essay by the newspaper.]

The history of the building is very interesting. It includes the Education Board (1890s-1920s), though this organisation’s huge significance to Otago history is under appreciated these days. Then there was Reeds, from the 1920s, one of the great stories in New Zealand publishing.

See the comments of former building residents in response to my photograph at Facebook http://on.fb.me/fVF6Oo

****

The signs in the windows and on a door to Jetty Street read:

Images ©2011 Elizabeth Kerr

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

18 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Heritage, People, Politics, Site, Town planning, Urban design

Owner of Dragon Café/Barron Building has lodged an application to demolish

The owner of 175 Rattray St is listed as Anchorage Properties Ltd, according to DCC rates information. The NZ Companies Office gives the directors of the company as Lincoln Darling and Christina Murphy.

Related Posts:

12.1.11 Demo by neglect? Save the facade?
13.1.11 Banks, Barron & Co Building Collapse pics
13.1.11 Barron Building and Rattray Street
22.1.11 SAVE Dragon Café / Barron Building – Sign the Online Petition
26.1.11 D Scene: Honour heritage

The Save Dunedin’s historic Dragon Café / Barron’s Building online petition is ACTIVE http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42203.html

Images ©2011 Elizabeth Kerr

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

15 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, People, Politics, Project management, Site, Town planning, Urban design

DScene: Honour heritage

### D Scene 26-1-11
Honour heritage (front cover)
History and architecture advocates such as David Murray are lobbying hard to prevent other notable buildings sharing the fate of the Rattray Street property which started crumbling and collapsing a fortnight ago. See p3. #bookmark

Fears for old buildings (page 3)
By Wilma McCorkindale
A new lobby group fears many significant an historic Dunedin buildings will be lost to the city due to neglect. An increasing number of older buildings in the city – some are of great historical importance – are being identitfied by the newly-formed group, Stop Demolition By Neglect. The group launched [an online petition] last Friday and has already begun naming and shaming some buildings.
{continues} #bookmark

Facebook: Dunedin Heritage Buildings – Stop Demolition By Neglect

Online Petition: Save Dunedin’s historic Dragon Café / Barron’s Building

Beyond the facade
Bells and whistles / Factory originals (pages 8-9)
By Wilma McCorkindale
This week is the second of the four part series, Beyond the Facade, where D Scene takes a peak behind the well-known exteriors of some of Dunedin’s landmark buildings to see what can be found inside. Today D Scene photographer Wilma McCorkindale takes her camera into the Bell Tea Co Ltd Factory at 15 Hope Street.
{continues} #bookmark

Register to read D Scene online at http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect.com/

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

1 Comment

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, People, Politics, Project management, Town planning, Urban design

SAVE Dragon Café / Barron Building – Sign the Online Petition

175 Rattray Street, Dunedin, New Zealand

Please support the retention and restoration of Dunedin’s iconic Dragon Café / Barron Building by signing the online petition at this link:

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42203.html

A paper petition is currently being prepared for circulation.

From an earlier post, following a recent site visit to “the first and second floor interiors of the Barron and Co building . . . The [architect] Owen Macfie interiors are still in existence and although in some places in poor condition are for the most part unaltered and therefore pretty special”.

Photo: Paul Le Comte (January 2011)

Photo: JW Allen, Barron Building c. 1880
Hocken Collections [c/n F405/16]

Related Posts, Comments and Photographs:
13.1.11 Barron Building and Rattray Street
13.1.11 Banks, Barron & Co Building Collapse pics
12.1.11 Demo by neglect? Save the facade?

Latest Update 22.1.11 Dunedin Heritage Fund

Photo: Elizabeth Kerr (January 2011)

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

Leave a comment

Filed under Architecture, Construction, Design, Economics, Geography, Heritage, Inspiration, People, Politics, Project management, Town planning, Urban design

Channel 9 News preps us for outburst we don’t need

Announced:
Wednesday’s ODT features Earl Hagaman’s thoughts towards the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, in relation to demolition of the former Butterworth Building and the former Bank of Australasia in High Street.

Some time ago the property owner received resource consent to demolish and redevelop the site for a one-storeyed carpark building. That was old news. However, the buildings slid into raw neglect in the period the property owner delayed starting the development work.

This year, demolition was carried out, to MANY local people’s dismay and deep regret. Yeah, just another Christchurch developer that turns a blind eye to our local context, our civic history and (to be further explored and defined) our unique sense of place @ The Exchange.

Old Butterworth Building, High Street, Dunedin (1)

Built in 1883, Butterworth’s was designed by prominent Italian architect Louis Boldini – one of his few remaining buildings in New Zealand. The facade was remodelled in the Art Deco style sometime after 1938, losing its Italianate detail. More recently known as Smiths City, the building was demolished in September this year – contributing to a steady corporate destruction of the historic townscape fabric of The Exchange area.

High Street, Dunedin

Leading colonial architect William Mason designed the old Bank of Australasia building (left, nearly out of picture). This photograph taken late in the nineteenth century shows the original facade of Butterworth building (second from left).

See jaffabeaut’s photostream at Flickr showing Smith City’s demolition.

ODT noted recently that Earl Hagaman is one of the parties involved in negotiations (hag-gling????) for purchase of property needed to realign SH88 near the stadium. Hmmm.

We feel all warm and fuzzy, suddenly.

****

### ODT Online Wed, 2 Dec 2009
Hotelier slams Historic Places Trust
By Mark Price
Scenic Hotel Group executive chairman Earl Hagaman has condemned the Historic Places Trust over the way it dealt with his company’s demolition of old buildings in High St earlier this year to make way for a car park.
Read more

****

Earl Hagaman doesn’t appear to understand or accept the archaeological provisions of the Historic Places Act.

What a pitiful tirade he accomplishes in his letter to MPs and the media. Like a bear with a sore head.

We await the response of New Zealand Historic Places Trust, which is forthcoming.

Post by Elizabeth Kerr

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Politics, Project management, Site, Town planning