Thursday, 19 February 2015, 4:21 pm
Press Release: New Zealand First Party
‘Concrete Cancer’ Fears Still Alive
New Zealand First wants Minister for Building and Housing Nick Smith to get independent analysis to prove that “concrete cancer” is not a concern in recently constructed buildings around the country as Minister Smith claims.
“We have been reliably informed that tonnes of imported cement are not up to industry standards and result in weak concrete that will end in structural problems,” says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters.
“New Zealand First warned the government about the dodgy cement last year but it is still being used.
“Now the Minister has the audacity to tell New Zealand First to provide technical reports. That is the job of the Minister who, up till now, has relied on concrete industry assurances that are both conflicted and not independent.
“Suspect cement is believed to have been used in the Manukau District Court and Fonterra’s upgrade of its UHT factory in Waitoa.
“Why haven’t independent core samples been take from these sites and others where there are concerns?”
inthehouseNZ Published on Feb 18, 2015
19.02.15 – Question 7: Rt Hon Winston Peters to the Minister for Building and Housing
Does he think he is competently fulfilling his ministerial responsibilities; if not, why not?
Provided by http://www.inthehouse.co.nz
Produced by Tandem Studios
Whaleoil’s Cameron Slater says…
“The Government has been warned about the concrete cancer issue for near on six months now, and yesterday we saw a flustered looking Nick Smith start the ol’ political trick of shifting the blame to his officials.”
20.2.15 Concrete Cancer Coverup – Winston has Nick Smith over a barrel
5.2.15 Concrete Cancer Cover-up, Ctd – What’s all the fuss about?
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr