There’s a new tenancy at the Dunedin Railway Station.
People working on the project had been told the whole underfloor area was safe to enter; that there was plastic down.
Turns out the plastic cover ran short, and a number of site workers had crawled across bare dirt, kicking up a lot of dust as they went – it was found the area had been contaminated with asbestos.
We understand workmen from several companies have been affected.
The Dunedin Railway Station is a council owned property. Affected sitemen have since had their names added to the WorkSafe Asbestos Exposure Database; and Health and Safety meetings have been called to review safety drills and gear provision.
It appears a few people have slipped up along the ‘food chain’ of managerial responsibility for the workers, starting with DCC management (the building owner).
We hear DCC is now paying for workers to be educated on what protection gear they must wear on exposed asbestos worksites.
Related Post and Comments:
19.6.16 Thoughts on ODT Insight : Chris Morris investigates Asbestos plague
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr
This post is offered in the public interest.