Freedom campers are ignoring closed signs at Warrington Domain.
Photographs and accompanying letter received from a Warrington resident (name withheld) on Monday, 8 May 2017 at 10:52 a.m.
● All comments to the photographs are by whatifdunedin.
Dunedin City Council trashes Warrington ratepayers’ and residents’ recreational amenity asset:
Damage to the village green is all down to the deliberate decision by Dunedin City Council to allow uncontrolled freedom camping at the Domain over the 2016/17 summer period (read no enforcement of Camping Control Bylaw 23); this for reduction and avoidance of freedom camping happening in metropolitan Dunedin. Out of sight, out of mind. The Warrington community receives no proper help from the scrubbers on the politicised local community board, to protect the asset.
It’s a bloody scandal – someone (plural) should lose their job.
In these photos freedom campers continue to park outside the closed domain totally ignoring the DCC signage but with apparently no repercussions:
Due to email file size limits a video recording was not forwarded to What if? Dunedin. Hopefully this will come available shortly via YouTube.
Warrington resident receives no reply to their polite yet pointed email sent to Waikouaiti Coast Community Board (WCCB) and DCC. How surprising!
From: [Warrington resident]
Sent: Saturday, 6 May 2017 8:50 p.m.
To: Waikouaiti Coast Community Board; Dunedin City Council Customer Services; Ashley Reid [DCC]; Jendi Paterson [DCC]
Subject: Freedom campers ignore closed signs
Hi DCC and WCCB,
I became aware there are freedom camper vehicles outside the domain this evening from their music and the noise of car doors.
FYI 13 non-self-contained freedom camper vehicles are parked outside the Warrington domain tonight and a 14th is parked in the surf club carpark.
When asked they denied seeing the signs that clearly state the domain is closed to camping.
Our points are:
– the freedom campers are clearly ignoring your signs
– there doesn’t seem to be anyone controlling the area at night
– it is unreasonable for local residents that the freedom campers choose to park wherever they like
Dunedin City Council
█ 23. Camping Control Bylaw 2015 (PDF, 2.5 MB)
The purpose of this bylaw is to protect, promote, and maintain public health and safety by regulating freedom camping within the district; and restrict freedom camping in public places within the district. Link
Date approved: 01 November 2015
Related Posts and Comments:
● 9.4.17 DCC obfuscates : Open slather for freedom campers at Warrington
● 16.3.17 WE have the information, unreasonable delay providing it #LGOIMA
● 15.2.17 Warrington : DCC dictates loss of community’s grassed recreation reserve to freeloaders
8.2.17 Hands Off Enjoyment of OUR Beaches #DCC
● 6.2.17 Uncontrolled freedom camping at Warrington Domain this weekend —DCC ‘hell model’ [no enforcement]
● 1.2.17 “Fake news” from DCC boffins & Community Board re freedom camping at Warrington Domain #TheBlight
10.2.16 Dunedin freedom camping #DCC #enforcement
16.12.14 DCC: Freedom Camping issues
7.12.09 Coastal protection zones
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr
This post is offered in the public interest.