Carroll St house fire #historicheritage

Tyler Christmas Published on Oct 22, 2016
Dunedin Carroll St fire 2016 [full footage]

my heart gose out to them all
out safe and fire is under control
–Tyler

Firefighters could not tell whether the smoke alarms in the flat were working because it was so badly damaged, but the neighbouring flat did have working alarms.

### ODT Online Sun, 23 Oct 2016
Woman jumps from burning flat
By Vaughan Elder
A woman had to jump for her life from the second storey of a Dunedin flat as it became engulfed with flames. Five fire appliances were called to the blaze, which started just before noon on Sunday, and “totally destroyed” the Carroll St flat as about 100 onlookers gathered on the street. Senior Station Officer Justin Wafer, of Dunedin Central, said a woman, had to jump from the second storey as flames engulfed the flat in what he called a “significant structure fire”. A man, believed to be the woman’s partner, was on the ground floor when the blaze started and was among three people who caught her after she jumped. […] Mr Wafer praised the actions of those who caught her as “very brave”.
Read more

Smoke-Alarms-Banner [fire.org.nz]

NEW ZEALAND FIRE SERVICE
We recommend you install long-life photoelectric type smoke alarms in your home. They may cost a little more but the benefits are significant.
• They provide a about 10 years smoke detection.
• They remove the frustration of fixing the ‘flat battery beep’ at inconvenient times such as at 3 in the morning.
• The cost of replacement batteries for standard alarms means the long-life one effectively pays for itself over its lifetime.
• You don’t have to climb ladders every year to replace batteries.

Your best protection is to have photoelectric smoke alarms in every bedroom, living area and hallway in your home. Install them in the middle of the ceiling of each room.

But, at a minimum, you should install one standard long-life photoelectric type alarm in the hallway closest to the bedrooms.

NZFS : Make Your Home and Family Fire Safe Brochure

NZFS : More on smoke alarm installation

Related Post and Comments:
15.5.16 Fire Safety at Home : Install long-life photoelectric alarms #bestprotection

Posted by Elizabeth Kerr

This post is offered in the public interest.

Advertisements

3 Comments

Filed under Architecture, Design, Dunedin, Education, Events, Heritage, Housing, Media, New Zealand, NZFS, People, Property, Public interest, Site

3 responses to “Carroll St house fire #historicheritage

  1. Elizabeth

    Mon, 24 Oct 2016
    ODT: Pregnant woman leaps to safety
    A good Samaritan has described the harrowing moments when a pregnant woman  jumped from the second storey of a Dunedin flat as it was being engulfed in flames. […] The building’s owner, Mark Thom, said it was distressing to see the flats so badly damaged. They had had great historic value and were built by Presbyterian missionary Alexander Don, who converted Chinese goldminers to Christianity in the 19th century. He donated the flats to the neighbouring Chinese Mission Church and they used to house Chinese ministers. It was too early to say what might happen to the building but he would make every effort to retain the flats.

  2. Elizabeth

    Last updated 09:04, Oct 24 2016
    Stuff: Woman escapes from second storey of burning Dunedin flat
    ….as flames engulfed the internal stairs a female tenant had no choice but to climb out a second storey window. Senior Station Officer Justin Wafer said she managed to climb onto a lean-to roof over the adjoining flat before jumping from there into the arms of a passerby.

    Escape route [frames taken from Tyler Christmas video]

    carroll-st-fire-video-by-tyler-christmas-frame-3carroll-st-fire-video-by-tyler-christmas-frame-2carroll-st-fire-video-by-tyler-christmas-frame-1

  3. Elizabeth

    Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires and is responsible for a third of all fire-related fatalities in New Zealand.
    –Laurence Voight, NZFS

    Sun, 30 Oct 2016
    ODT: Kitchen fires source of frustration for firefighters
    The fire which destroyed a central Dunedin home last week was caused by unattended cooking. A pregnant woman jumped from the second storey of a burning flat in Carroll St on Sunday. East Otago area fire commander Laurence Voight said the fire was one of 22 to start in kitchens in homes in the greater Dunedin area in the past six months. Cont/

    PUBLIC EDUCATION (via ODT)
    If a fire is burning in the cooking area of a kitchen, the Fire Service recommends. —
    ● Turning off power to the oven, or stove top, either at the wall or the main switchboard, if it is safe to do so.
    ● If the fire is  in the oven, keep the oven door closed and call the Fire Service.
    ● For a fire involving cooking oil in a pot, do not move the pot or attempt to extinguish the fire using water.
    To extinguish a cooking oil fire, place a pot lid, oven tray or damp tea towel over the pot and immediately call the Fire Service.
    ● The best way to prevent a fire in your kitchen is to regularly clean the stove, keep curtains, tea towels and oven mitts away from the cooking area and to never leave cooking unattended.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s