Sirens heard last night from lower Pitt Street…. ANOTHER of Dunedin’s significant heritage buildings up in flames.
WHERE THE SMOKE DETECTORS AND SPRINKLER SYSTEM
Otago Daily Times Published on Aug 2, 2015
[post] Fire at The Bog
Firefighters attend a blaze at The Bog in central Dunedin tonight.
39 Dunedin Television Published on Aug 3, 2015
Central city pub catches fire
An investigation is under way to determine the cause of a fire at a central city pub.
### ODT Online Sun, 2 Aug 2015
Fire at central city pub
Firefighters have attended a blaze at The Bog Irish Bar in central Dunedin tonight. Crews were called about 7pm after a fire broke out in an upstairs office at the pub, on the corner of George and London Sts.
Briefly, the first hotel on this site was established in 1864 as the Black Bull Hotel. Daniel White changed the name to the Royal Albert when he took over in 1879 – he opened the current hotel building in 1880.
Royal Albert Hotel building history by David Murray:
Built: 1880 / 1939
Address: 387 George Street
Architects: Louis Boldini / Stone & Sturmer
Builders: Norman Wood / D.P. Murphy
Johann Luks (1877-1879) was a German immigrant who had previously worked as a fruiterer in George Street. In late 1878 he commissioned the architect Louis Boldini to design a new hotel building, but was declared bankrupt in August 1879 before the project could go ahead. Daniel White purchased the fourteen-year lease on the property the same month, and in December was granted a license for the establishment which he gave a new name: the Royal Albert Hotel. The replacement building was erected in 1880 by contractor Norman Wood to Boldini’s plans, and completed by October. It was built of brick, with ornate cemented facades in the revived Italian Renaissance style, and made the most of a tricky triangular site. The ground floor had a bar, three sitting rooms, a dining room, and a kitchen. There were nine bedrooms and a sitting room on the first floor.
█ Read more + historical images
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr