Late afternoon those of us refuelling at a local café in George St heard a sudden crash of glass across the road – broken glass littered the footpath, parking spaces and north-bound lane outside Wall Street Mall.
The mall’s street facade had suddenly dropped a glazing panel, a section of pretend parapet – from the very top of the (graphic) ‘old-building’ screen.
Luckily, no-one was hurt.
Camera phone not coping too well with the late sun angle but you get the idea.
A well-known woman sitting along from me said she’d never liked that glass design anyway.
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr
13 responses to “Wall Street Mall drops glazing panel to George Street”
Smashing time. Do you mean ersatz, a mere front, not historic? I dont understand why it is finished in Romanesque archatrave. My German dentist asks is it safe?
I note ODT has it that the facade shatters – sorry, it was just one panel. In the circumstances, hyperbole is unacceptable.
### ODT Online Tue, 24 Feb 2015
Facade shatters, showers street
By Hamish McNeilly
Exploding glass caused a shower of fragments to fall in front of Dunedin’s Wall Street Mall yesterday. It was the second such incident at the $34 million multi-level shopping centre, which was developed by the Dunedin City Council and opened in 2009.
### ODT Online Sat, 13 Oct 2012
$60k bill to strengthen glass ceiling
By Chris Morris
The Dunedin City Council is facing a $60,000 bill to strengthen the Wall Street shopping mall’s glass ceiling and protect against further spontaneous glass explosions. It has also emerged other Dunedin building owners could face similar bills for buildings constructed before regulations were toughened two years ago. The concern comes after two men – one in a wheelchair – escaped injury despite being showered with falling glass fragments when a ceiling panel spontaneously shattered inside the Wall Street mall in April.
[What if? Dunedin media reference Link]
Does it really need a GLASS ceiling?
Isn’t time that the Directors were held to account for allowing this to happen again. Who are the Directors of this Mall?
Check out current directors here: GOLDEN BLOCK INVESTMENTS LIMITED (705087) Registered, via New Zealand Companies register – as well as the history of directors.
and the shareholders who might get dinged by any lawsuits …. oh that’s us
If this has happened, for the second time, can we assume the directors, Tony Clear et al, did not do an immediate building check on other glass fixtures after the first time? If they did not do so, why should the council pay $60,000 for their negligence?
### ODT Online Wed, 25 Feb 2015
Facade’s removal may be considered
By Chris Morris
The Dunedin City Council may have to consider removing the rest of the Wall Street Mall’s decorative glass facade if significant faults are found, council staff say. The suggestion came from council city property manager Kevin Taylor as an investigation continued into Monday’s incident, in which a large external glass pane fell from the building in George St.
The glass incident again raises the issue: why is the ratepayer through the Council still continuing to own the Wall St Mall? Surely we should be prudent to divest before “on-line shopping” really does some damage and a lot more than falling glass!!!
Hosting F&P expansion upstairs into the old Penroses…
### dunedintv.co.nz February 25, 2015 – 7:20pm
DCC looking into improving Wall Street Mall facade
The Dunedin City Council is investigating whether to spend money improving the facade of the Wall Street Mall.
### ODT Online Mon, 2 Mar 2015
Mall glass failure not structural
By Chris Morris
A structural fault has been ruled out as the cause of last week’s glass failure at the Wall St shopping mall in Dunedin. Council city property manager Kevin Taylor said the mall’s external fittings – holding the decorative glass facade to the side of the building – had been checked and found to be in good condition. That pointed to a failure of the glass panel itself, but Metro Glass staff – who installed the facade – had also ruled out nickel sulphide inclusion, which caused a glass ceiling panel inside the mall to explode in 2011, Mr Taylor said.
ODT 19.4.16 (page 8)