### ODT Online Sun, 8 Jan 2012
Otago towers and spires series
By David Loughrey
“High above the passer-by, glass or wire netting-covered openings give a tantalising glimpse into the towers and spires of historic Dunedin. Overcoming vertigo, David Loughrey ventured where most do not get to go. Here, he explores the magic spaces inside the clock towers of the Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin Town Hall, the University of Otago’s registry building, and the spire of Knox Church.”
The illustrated series appeared in print and digital editions of the newspaper on 7 January. Follow the links for the stories, photographs and more building information.
Dunedin Railway Station
Graffiti tells the story
• Foundation stone laid 1904; building officially opened 1906 but not completed until 1907. Tower strengthened in 1965, again in 1969, and major refurbishment in 1995.
Dunedin Town Hall, Municipal Chambers
Death-defying feat up clock tower
• Building opened for business on 25 May 1880. Clock: made by Gillett and Bland Steam Clock Company of Croyden, London. Pendulum released: Midday, December 2 1880.
University of Otago Registry Building, or Clocktower Building
Ignominious entrance to tower
• Building completed: 1879. Tower was “blind” until 1930s, when university council member and local politician Thomas Sidey paid for clock to be installed.
Knee-knocking climb of Knox
• Construction: 1876. Spire height: 50m; bell weighs about 350kg.
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr