This post has been updated following revisions to the DCC project information available online subsequent to the Open Day held on 30 November at the Dunedin Gasworks Musem. The Concept Design Options will be available online for public comment shortly.
Dunedin City Council – Council Projects
South Dunedin Retail Centre
The purpose of the South Dunedin Retail Centre Strategy is to identify an integrated package of actions that can be used to revitalise the retail centre, both economically and socially.
The suggested goals for the strategy are to:
* Re-establish the economic role of the South Dunedin retail centre as a retail destination for the city by developing the centre into a place that people want to visit and spend time.
* Restore the social role of the centre as a place that provides opportunities for local residents to make regular contact with each other while engaged in routine activities.
The package of actions required to achieve these goals will need to include actions by both the Council and the community, in order to be successful.
What is happening and when can you get involved?
Stage one – now completed
Issues and Opportunities – November 2009 to March 2010
Options Development – March 2010 to December 2010
* Develop opportunities and options identified as priorities in stage one.
* Undertake more consultation with building and land owners, tenants and key stakeholders who are affected by or will need to contribute to options.
* Opportunity to comment on concept design options online or at King Edward Street until 17 December 2010.
Summer Celebration and Heritage Open Day
An open day for a number of heritage sites around the retail centre as well as other activities, are being planned for late January / early February 2011. Further details will be advertised.
If you would like to find out more or have ideas to offer please contact Emma O’Neill on 477 4000 or email email@example.com
* Draft Strategy – July 2010 to early 2011.
* Preferred option for King Edward Street developed February 2011.
* Prepare Draft Strategy.
* Formal submission period and public hearing process on the Draft Strategy.
* Analyse submissions, amend Draft Strategy and release final Strategy.
* Develop detailed design of preferred option for King Edward Street
* Implement projects identified in action plan
* Implement King Edward Street changes
If you have any comments or enquiries please contact Emma O’Neill, City Development Team, City Planning by phone 477-4000 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted by Elizabeth Kerr