The plaza will be owned in common with the Dunedin City Council.
### ODT Online Sat, 19 Dec 2009
University unveils stadium building design
By Allison Rudd
The University of Otago’s building next to the Forsyth Barr Stadium will be “one of the most exciting developments on campus for decades”, vice-chancellor Prof Sir David Skegg says. Releasing the design yesterday, he said the Oamaru stone-clad building, linking the University Plaza and the stadium, would be “a major learning and recreational facility next to a world-class covered stadium”.
Read more + Image
University Stadium building
– 9663sq m rectangular building providing west wall of the stadium and opening on to University Plaza
– Teaching spaces for Foundation Studies department; Unipol sports centre including two gymnasiums, cardio weights area and large multipurpose team sports area; physiotherapy clinic; cafe for students and public
– Cost still under wraps, but could be $45 million
– Construction May 2010-August 2011
– Second building to be constructed at right angles to this building, providing an L-shaped development.
Our simple hope is that the current Unipol building in Anzac Avenue is retained to extend University of Otago Hocken Library collections.
Related posts and comments:
20.11.09 University building at stadium – update
10.11.09 University building at stadium
27.8.09 Architects for university stadium buildings
22.6.09 Vice-Chancellor pronounces on stadium
Post by Elizabeth Kerr